Get Trained like Jesus Trained His Followers
Would you like to train to be an outdoor guide with Into the Wilderness or with your church group? Do you want to get a glimpse in how Jesus trained His men through outdoor experiential education? Then save this date and join us for the 4 most unforgettable days of your life!
ITW organizes this 4 day custom backpacking experience in the breathtaking Val Varaita. Here you will learn practical outdoor ministry skills and techniques in order to train others through experiential learning, backcountry living and adventure, survival skills, serving one another and encountering Jesus.
During our adventure together, we will explore both the theory and practice of wilderness adventure ministry. You will learn practical skills such as map reading and compass-orienteering, basic climbing and rappelling, outdoor cooking, camp set up and tear down, and leave no trace principles. Together with other guides-in-training, you will explore God’s creation leading you to a deeper love for who He is and appreciation for serving in His body.
ITW designs custom backpacking adventures to develop authentic community and leadership skills. Living in the wilderness, trekking through the mountains, and serving one another creates an context for individuals to grow in their relationship with Jesus and in their relationships with each other.
Rock Climbing and Via Ferrata*
This experience is an extraordinary way to safely push individuals beyond their comfort zones. The ITW rock climbing and via ferrata adventures challenge individuals to face and overcome fears, build trust in themselves and others, and grow in self confidence. Rock climbing and via ferrata can expose the character of an individual and the dynamics of a quad, and it is often a stimulus for faith building, spiritual renewal, character formation, and community development.
This experience is a perfect context to push individuals beyond their comfort zones. The ITW mountaineering component challenges individuals to face and overcome fears, grow as team players, and grow in technical skills. Mountaineering can expose the character of an individual and the dynamics of a team, and it is often a stimulus for faith building and community development.
What to expect at reTRAIN
- Expect to have an amazing and life transforming experience. For many participants this will be a once in a lifetime wilderness ministry experience.
- Expect to have fun, but also recognize that a ITW adventure is a challenge. You and your quad will be tested physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually.
- Expect to be physically challenged. ITW adventures can be physically demanding and at times physically uncomfortable.
- Expect to be emotionally challenged. ITW adventures will push you past emotional comfort zones.
- Expect to be mentally challenged. ITW adventures will test your mental strength during certain physical challenges.
- Expect to be spiritually challenged. ITW is first and foremost a ministry, and we desire to test, inspire and encourage individuals in their spiritual life.
- Expect difficult conditions, rugged camping and varied weather which may include snow, rain, wind and hail. This may create tests for participants and an occasion for individual growth.
- Expect God to move in extraordinary ways to change the hearts of individuals.
- Expect to experience deep and significant community and relationship building. This is an exciting time for participants! You should anticipate vulnerability, transparency, honesty and maybe even some tears.
- Expect to be challenged as leaders and servants. ITW intentionally creates opportunities for individuals to serve one another. Assume that some people will excel and others will wrestle with leadership responsibilities.
- Expect the need to be flexible. ITW develops itineraries and establishes goals for each adventure, but each adventure varies. ITW staff are continually assessing the participants, weather, environmental conditions, and group dynamics during a adventure and then making mid course corrections.
- Expect that you will be involved and engaged. ITW staff will unpack activities each day to make mid-course corrections. Often as a quad or leader ITW staff will invite you in this process. To create an excellent adventure, be available. Don’t come with the expectation that this is just a vacation. It is also a ministry experience.
- Expect to team up with your ITW staff. At the end of the day, they are responsible. Legal and administrative policy dictates that the final decision in any matter belongs to the ITW guide. However, ITW guides will include you and rely on you for insight, wisdom and direction about the people in your quad.